Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Tiger Re-do

A few days ago I posted my thoughts regarding Tiger Woods and his moral failings. Since that posting, and reviewing the comments posted, I believe my reaction was a typical "knee-jerk" belief. So, I have had time to reevaluate my thoughts, and here is my conclusion. Though the comments you folks posted were both pro and con, they brought to my attention some significant slights I felt.

I am not backing down on my stance on Woods' behavior or the harm he has done to his family or public persona. He was wrong, and will forever be wrong. This issue may or may not derail his professional career. I don't make those determinations. I am, however, delighted by his decision to set aside his professional ambitions to deal with the infinitely more important task at hand. Tiger has decided to face his demons, and I wish him well.

A few of you commented on the fact that it his private life, and should remain that way. For me, there is no clear-cut dividing line between private and public disclosure if you are a high profile figure. What right trumps the other right in this situation? I don't pretend to know, and I don't really think anybody really knows. It's a sad and shameful position we put ourselves in when all our attention is focused on another's private life, when the majority of American citizens have there own personal problems. Is it a phenomena based on the culture that my own issues aren't to be addressed now that Tiger Woods got himself into a whole heap of trouble? How wrong is that?

I'm still torn about what, if anything, is private in the personal life of a politician, celebrity, or athlete. I actually made a hyprocite out of myself initially because I am still a huge fan of Barry Bonds. I stand behind him still, because, in my own narrow view, "nothing has been proven", though I would probably vote "guilty" in his case. So, I was wrong about not giving Tiger the same chance. Tiger, at least, came clean, though it did take some time.

So, while I am not admitting that my original posting was wrong, it could have been presented in a different way. I sincerely appreciate all the feedback I received. It made me take a harder look at from where my opinion was based. Keep the comments coming. Thank you. Oh, and to Mr. Woods, I apologize for using the word "bastard" in reference to you. It was inappropriate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment