Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Thoughts and Wishes

The 2009 holiday season started off on a down turn for me. It began a week or so before Thanksgiving. My son was in Iraq, my nephew in Antartica, and my oldest niece in Alaska, and the rest of my family in Texas. Only an assist from Santa would allow me to able to see anyone, and he stopped answering my letters a long time ago. Suddenly, the Thanksgiving season, and the whole holiday spirit season, turned for the better. My wife and I had been invited to her son, Josh and daughter-in-law Kristin's house, with their 5 month old daughter, Addison, Kristin's family, and Nickie's two daughters and their spouses.The miracle started with a BANG I didn't expect. My youngest son, Travis, called me right away Thanksgiving morning, followed by a call I had been desperately waiting for, from Steven in Iraq. Well, I thought, this day isn't going too bad. Only in my dreams could I imagine the day getting better.  (I had forgotten the Raiders played on national TV that day).

Nickie and I were among the first to arrive at the aforementioned Thanksgiving dinner. Josh was a gracious host, always checking on us, and on everybody who arrived after. He took care of their daughter, Addison, the whole time while Kristin and Jessie (Nick's youngest daughter) finished preparation of the feast. He fussed, fiddled and attended to every one's comfort. In my measure, hosting your first major holiday family bash, in your own home, is a good measure of a man. Josh Salusbury showed me a man that day. My earlier worries about not having any family? Wiped out the moment I walked onto the front stoop and into the house. Good, confident and refreshing conversation for all. It seemed like all in  attendance sensed my despondence about being so far away from my family. To Kristin's family (of whom I had only met her Mother and Father once), her aunts and uncles, cousins and nephews/nieces, and grandparents, I deliver an extremely grateful THANK YOU! You all made me feel as if I was among family and my other stressors were to put ease. Addison was the hit of the party, as young tots are wont to do, and even the family dog, Harry, licked my hand (though that was after I had turkey drippings all over my hands and fingers; it;s okay Harry, I know you meant it.  Josh and Kristin, I felt at home and with family. Thank you so very much.

Christmas is going to be a little different, but similar. It's going to be quiet, just visiting friends in the local area, friends whom both my wife and I have been able to rely on throughtout 2009. At that time, we will offer our personal thanks. Now, on to my Christmas wishes.

Steven, remain safe where you are. Enjoyed continued excellence and advancement in your chosen career. You have the power, my son, to become a force in your military profession. Travis I wish for you growth, learning and a growing maturity. It;s tough out there, Trav, but you will make it. Keep your head up and move forward with both barrels fiiring. Darin, find what you want and go get. It's there, son. You just have to go and take it. Nobody's going to give it to you. My brother Jim; What can I say? You have helped me in so many ways. Stay on track with your studies and your writing. You have both the intelligence, and more importantly, the desire too be successful. Take it and run. My sister Becky and her family; Little Sis, Stay on the path you chose oh so many years ago. I can see how excited you are about it, all these years later. It's hard to juggle family, career and church, but Bec, you are an amazing woman. Kelli, make that leap from little girl to womanhood. Keep up the effort, Kelli-Belli.  You are a lovely young lady. Diana, Chuck needs your support throughtout his career. It takes a tough, loving woman to go through a military career with unquestioned love and support for her man. Di, Chuck is a good man, even though he's Army, but I salute him for his service to our country. Hug Lauren tight for me.(Hey, I got an idea. How about a picture. You know, those little things with color that only take a 44cent stamp to send to your uncle?) I miss you guys. Scott; You are an adventurous sort, and you have all the qualities it takes, passion, curiosity and a willingness to learn. Scott, continue your growth. Mom and Dad; What can I say? You have given me love, encouragement, and hope for 48 years, though I swear I'm 38. You have loved each other for almost fifty years. Just freaking amazing, and oh so rare these days. Dad, do what you must to get your health in order. I don't care if it hurts. Mom, watch Dad. Don't let him wander. And to you both, I very much enjoy the rare visits,  but when they do come I feel like I'm home again. Thank you for all your support and guidance, and for never giving up on me.

Josh and Kristin; Take care of that baby. Addie is a sweetheart. I can tell she has been blessed with both attentive and loving parents. Those are the two most vital assets your daughter can grow up being around. Harry, Merry Doggie Christmas.  Joe and Jenny;  I wish for your love and happiness to grow. It has taken hold, now it must flourish.  Joe, music for you. You have great talent. Jenny, may you get the opportunity to use your teaching and educational skills for the good. I know teachers, Jenny. This country sorely lacks the type of committed educator that you are, and there is an extremely short list of teachers who KNOW how to teach, and you are an asset. Jenny, press the issue. Tood and Jessie;  The new year brings an extra gift for your family, and added pressures. Take your cue and make your child welcome into this world. I am confident that he/she will be a well loved child, and well learned. You two have your own unique gifts to pass on and teach to your child. I envy that child's growth. Monte, Merry Doggie Christmas to you.

Finally, to all my friends: Jen, Shelley, Tomi, Ila, Amber, Alex and Cliff, Everyday Bill and the  rest of you who are a part of my life, thank you. You were there when I needed you. I will always be there for you, as you were for me and Nickie. I hope you won't need my help, but the offer is irreversible and everlasting. Jen, you hug Abbie for me. Shelley, hug Bruce and Cocoa. Tomi, track down your kids by who you can catch first, and then hugs from me. Ila, you get beautiful Tara. Amber, all the girls and Dominic get hugs. Alex, hug Cliff. Cliff, you just hug whoever you feel like.

To everybody involved in my life, and to those who aren't, may we all ring 2010 with, friends, family and strangers. Helping one person, no matter the case or circumstances, is the best gift you can give yourself. Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Norman B. Poppell

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a good time with some family.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas Norm. May you and Nickie have a great holiday season. Looking forward to the party on Monday.. Jen

    ReplyDelete