Thursday, December 17, 2009

INTEGRITY: Is it Important?

When I first started my postings, I stated to all that this site would be reserved for any and all opinions, irregardless of my views on the subject. I encouraged any prospective viewers, followers and subscribers to make comments, make an argument for or against my stance and we would all be able to have a nice narrative place to view, vent and share with other like-minded folks. Nothing fancy, just interacting in a civil forum. I also asked viewers to send in requests for topics they would like me to discuss. All was right in Norman's world.

Today, I had a request from an individual for my thoughts on a particular subject. After some thought, I responded to that request positively, because I thought I could make it interesting and thoughtful, provoking a good,equal sharing of views. Though I was taking a chance that it could be volatile, I was confident that my words would be viewed as fair and not an assasination on any particular individual. I was wrong.

So, after initially approving the subject matter, I have reversed my decision and informed the individual that I would in fact not run a piece on the request, and I have rested easy since in the belief that I have not stooped to censorship.

I did some investigating. The conclusion I came to after the evaluation scared me. I was convinced that this individual wanted to use this material to further a personal vendetta or agenda. I pride myself on using this site as simple communications between several interested parties, on either side of the sprectum. I'm not here to write something, then have any individual print it and go storming off and wave it in their adversaries face shouting "See, Norman said so, it's right here!" (I'm not trying to toot my own horn here). I'm not here to settle disputes or prove someone is right or wrong. I love to write about interesting items that are important to a semi-large cut of the browsers. I do not care if anybody reads this (though I know my family will, so they say). I'm having fun, and that is what matters to me.

So, to be clear: I am not here to settle, monitor or choose a victor on any personal tiffs between other people. What I write is a loose interpretation of facts previously reported,, and put my own personal spin on them, and allow others to put their spin on. Or maybe just some good ol' fun and heartwarming story I've heard or experienced .If you're looking for someone to fight your battles, their had better be a damn good reason, and send me factual information to work with. I'm not a vigilante trying to validate a spat, nor am I a headhunter. If that is what you want, go find somebody who is "fair and balanced".  Good day, folks, and continue to tune in.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment