Monday, January 12, 2015

The Greatest Love Story...Ever

If this didn't happen to me, I never would have believed it; friends and family, and even friends of friends, believe. Just as Virginia believed in Santa Claus, after all my doubts in the past, love is there for you, and probably in the most unlikely of places. This is my Virginia.

I decided, in early 2010, to just pack up my life and move to East Texas. I told myself it was so I could be with my parents, and siblings. I had, and still have, some fantastic memories of my time in Northern California, and I count some of the folks there as my friends, and some of the most magnificent people I have EVER met. But Texas was calling.

When I first arrived, I stayed with my folks, until I could get settled and find my own place. On the lake, fish when I want (retired people have to do that; it's a requirement). So, as I was picky but still wanted the water, I moved into a trailer park, one that I had visited each year before, just to check it out, when I came out to visit. Went back down this time, hoping like hell I could find what I wanted. I did, and more.

With the help of my Dad and brother Jim, we got me all moved in, and the very first 2 people I meet (after the owner) was the maintenance team. Can't remember his name, but the other half, WOWZA! Long brown hair, nice, long tanned legs, and eyes that just shimmered when you would look into them.It was June, start of summer and already hot. She was drenched in sweat from working hard, and somehow that grabbed my attention more. In a relationship? Of course she was...damn, what's up with that, Santa?

Soon I discovered that if I had a minor maintenance issue, the "she" half of the team would be sent to fix it. Blown breakers on the a/c, other small annoying crap. Could I fix it myself? Sure. Did I want to? Why would I, when she would? It got to the point where I would turn the breakers off myself, so she would have to come up. And, normally I have a policy, that if you want to come to my home, call first. I forgot to tell her that. We talked, just little chats, found out she loved Lipton's Brisk Lemon Ice Tea, so what was my fridge stocked with? Yes ma'am, I have one right here!

Always on my mind was she. Some nights, it would just be a few folks out on the dock, or the shoreline, fishing and laughing. Man, I was so more relaxed than I ever had been in my life! And it was because of her. Under the moonlight, poles in the water, I couldn't care less if I caught anything. I would tell stories about my time in the military, and everybody would listen and laugh, or just listen, because some weren't funny. Some were paying attention, some fishing, but she was doing both. Even without a moon, I could feel her eyes on me. Me.

I knew her relationship was rocky; we talked about it. I talked about it with him, and I truly tried to keep them together, because, at that time, that's what she wanted, and I only wanted her to be happy. I had had my share of happiness, and I sensed a part of her that just yearned for that happiness, so I tried. I gritted my teeth, bit my tongue, and tried to help. It didn't work, they parted ways, and I lost contact with her, except for a few brief calls, maybe a Facebook note or two. She called one day for help, and I did. Because she asked. I didn't know her story of the past few months (and even though I had moved, I also had to do my own maintenance...double bummer).

Christmas Eve, 2010, playing on-line poker, minding my own business, up pops my chat window. It was HER, the young lady that haunted my dreams. "Hey", she says, "whatcha doing""Nothing, playing poker" Do you feel like coming out to Athens and pick me up, we can go do something?", she asked. Now, Athens is about 40 miles away, but I did not care if it was 40 million miles away, I was gonna get there, and I was gettin' there yesterday!!! Woke up Christmas morning with her in my arms, so I knew that Virginia's question was answered for me!

Sadly, that morning we talked, and I asked her if she would give me a few days to sort things out before I went full bore into anything resembling a relationship. She understood, and I took her back to Athens, and made a slow, lonely journey to my parent's house for Christmas. I walked into my parent's house, and immediately my brother and Mom looked at me and said, almost in unison, "He's in love" (my brother) and "Who is she" from Mom. THAT, ladies and gentlemen, prevented me from making the biggest mistake of my life. If they knew right of the bat that I was so happy, just by looking at me, then what the hell was I thinking, dropping her off in Athens?

I think, after some time together, that I simply wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to hurt her. I knew she wouldn't hurt me; but she had suffered enough, some of her own doing,as I had (some of my own doing). Called her several times Christmas Day, made plans, and she moved in with me on December 26th, 2010, and each and every day I am a much happier man, because my Mom and Jim picked out what I couldn't quite see yet; I had found love, and I had just dropped it off 40 miles away.

Belinda has been a rock for me for just a little over 4 years, and I have been her rock. We laugh, we cry, we disagree, but we have never had one single fight. But whatever we do, we do it together, and that is what makes us who we have become: US, not Norman and Belinda, not the Poppell's, not Belinda and Norman...US. We are one together, thoughts, likes, mannerisms, you name it. We are ONE. Now, anything titled "The Greatest Love Story...Ever" has to have a sound reason for being described like that, and this one does. It has a moral.

The moral of this story is this: If you see something you like but think you may never get it, no matter how SMART you are, act DUMB, so the lady has to fix your breakers. 24/7. Princess, I love you, totally and completely. Thank you for 4 wonderful years of happiness, and to little Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...you just have to pay attention, be patient and the gift of lifetime love will be yours!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment