Sunday, December 6, 2009

Why do we always shoot ourselves in the foot?

WARNING!!!  When I started this site, I stated that material submitted for publication would be edited to ensure no raw language or offensive material would be posted. With this piece, I had to put my own statement to the test. I hope you do not find it offensive in any manner.

I am appalled at the judgment (lack thereof) of this country's military leadership. This includes President Obama, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, the Secretary of the Navy, the Chairman, Joints of Staff and the Chief of Naval Operations. Four Navy Seals are being court-martialed for mistreating the mastermind of the murder, torture and hanging (from a bridge in Iraq) of the person(s) responsible for these crimes against private US security contractors. This decision closely follows on the heels of the illogical choice of trying Khalid Sheik Mohammed in a civilian court for an act of war that resulted in the 9/11 attacks. I have had the honor to be associated with some Navy Seals during my military career, and they are among the most honorable men you would ever want to meet.  They were doing their job, an extremely dangerous one, in fact. So, the guy got a bloody lip. I know all about the Geneva Convention and international laws regarding such behavior. The GC was designed to protect enemy combatants in a declared war, not to protect hordes of cowardly terrorists that would kill and maim innocent civilians in a deliberate act of violence. That is what terrorists are, cowards. They are NOT enemy combatants. They are criminals, murderers, kidnappers and others of that ilk.

Terrorists deserve no special treatment or privileges. Was excessive force used? Just from what I have heard through the media, my answer would be an emphatetic NO! Speaking of the media, where is the outrage? Apparently, they have been attending the Democrat's School of Liberalism. Let the United States take a punch, and turn a blind eye. Screw the perception that we, as the leading world power, must set the example. I would prefer that we follow the example of the Israeli's. No mercy, methodical tracking and no "civil" guidelines to blind us to real justice.

These four Navy Seals are heroes to me, and I thank them and support them for their actions. If I could offer my humble opinion, they did not do enough. Obama wants to teach our school children. Good idea. Start by teaching them that the United States will not take any s*** from anybody. Allow our children to grow up learning pride in the place they have been given in the world. It must be kept safe, at any cost. We fought the Revolutionary War for our independence. This war is no different, and I hesitate to use the term 'war'. This terrorist problem is like having thugs, gansterts and drug dealers move into your neighborhood. Do you want them out, or are you going to mow the lawn for them?

1 comment:

  1. you seem to have a good perception of what should be done. Don't depend on the truth coming out of Obama's mouth. He says what is politically safe to say at the time. Political conditions may change thus Obama and the Democrats being habitual liars expect us to follow along and not notice the inconsistency of their promises.

    ReplyDelete